A trip to Hopkins in Belize would not be a vacation without a chance to do something innovative and exhilarating!
There is so much to do when traveling to Hopkins, numerous activities that include tropical rainforests, Mountains, underwater marine eco-systems and much more.
Below are my personal top things to do while visiting Hopkins, Belize:
1) Bio-luminescent Tour- Have you’ve ever seen Life of Pi, that cool movie about a boy lost at sea? This amazing tour is not far off! (A little dimer nevertheless mesmerizing). The tour starts with a 10 minutes transfer from Almond Beach Resort to Sitee Marina. From there, a 5 minutes boat ride takes you through a cut into mangroves and on to Anderson Lagoon. Complete darkness engulfs your surroundings except for the guides’ flashlight. Then, as the boat starts picking up speed, the tiny algae, which settle in the lagoon during the dry season, gets agitated and glow a brilliant cyan. Tiny comets shoot out from the boat. Fishes start darting around the boat glowing bright neon green and travel through schools of jellyfish all aglow. It’s absolutely unbelievable! (Seasonal tour- December to June)
2) Drumming Lessons- Garifuna music was proclaimed one of the masterpieces of the oral and intangible heritage of humanity by UNICEF. Through drumming lessons offer by Almond Beach Resort in partnership with Lebeha Drumming Center, you can enjoy and learn a new cultural rhythm taught by local professionals who are passionate to share their culture with you.
3) Diving with the Whale Sharks- The spawning of cubera snappers draws the whale sharks to Gladden Spit, Belize every year. Three days before or after the full moon between the months of March to June gives you the best chance at seeing these mammoth fishes. Diving with these creatures is a mind-blowing encounter worth every bit of the 60 minutes boat ride from Hopkins to Gladden Spit.
4) Snorkeling the Barrier Reef- The Belize Barrier Reef is the longest unbroken barrier reef in the world, stretching some 200 miles, spanning the entire length of Belize. Exploring this underwater ecosystem is an exhilarating experience as you swim amongst a wide variety of more than 250 species of brilliantly colored tropical fish, sea turtles, dolphins, eels and many other sea creatures that inhabit this massive reef system.
5) Fishing with a Local- Belize’s fishing phenomenon is due to a remarkably diverse marine ecosystem. This underwater diversity offers the greatest opportunity for landing many species of fishes such as barracudas, jacks, groupers, snappers and much more.
Local guides at Almond Beach have been guiding fishing excursions for over a decade. They will take you to the best fishing destinations around Hopkins.
6) Enjoy delectable Garifuna Food- Traditional Garifuna foods are based on coconut milk, garlic, basil, and black pepper. Banana and plantain are grated, mashed, boiled or baked. Fish boiled in coconut milk and served with mashed plantain is called serre. The hudut is another traditional dish! Inquire with your server at Jaguar Reef Restaurant for more information on local delicacies!
The above list is amongst my top things to do in Hopkins, Belize. There are many other activities to explore and enjoy like, river rafting, sunset sailing and hiking. Also, delving into different parts of Belize can give you a true taste into our diverse cultures, people and music.
Hope you enjoy my top things to do in Hopkins, Belize and if you need assistance with the above tours, please contact the Almond Beach Resort Team!